Easton's birthday was a pretty traumatic day in our house. Here is our story:
![]() |
| Easton with his little arm wrapped. |
It all started with bath time for both Easton and I. Easton got to play in the tub and then he sat on the ground playing next to me while I dried and straightened my hair. When I was almost done with my hair, Easton came up to me and was playing. This happens a lot so it really wasn't anything unusual. He loves cords so I'm usually pretty cautious about pulling the cords up and making sure he can't get a hold of them, well for some reason I didn't realize it and he pulled the cord to my straightener that was still on and hot.
The straightener fell right down on his left arm. One side of the straightening iron burned the top of his forearm and the other side burned the back of his forearm. I immediately pulled it off of his arm and rushed him to the kitchen sink to get water on it. He was in more shock than anything until I put the cold water on his arm and then he started crying pretty bad. It just so happened that at the same time I was doing that, I got a text from my mom about Facetiming Easton for his birthday. I grabbed the phone and called her and she started looking things up about what to do. The only thing we could see was to put ointment on it. After I tried taking care of him, Easton didn't act like it bothered him much but it sure looked bad.
Dillon was in class when this happened so I called him and asked him to come home and pick up some ointment and things for Easton. I told him to stop at Walgreens and talk to a pharmacist and see if Neosporin was the best option. During this time, Easton was getting really tired and upset so I finally just let him fall asleep in my arms.
When Dillon was talking with the pharmacist, he told Dillon to take Easton in to the hospital. He said where Easton is so young, it should be looked at for fear of infection and things like that. So once Easton woke up a little more, we took him into the urgent care. They said he had like second degree burns on his forearm. They cleaned it, wrapped it up and we just have to take care of it for a while. They said it will be noticeable for quite some time and he may even have scars the rest of his life from it.
I felt so horrible. I just kept thinking that I should have paid closer attention, I should have been faster trying to grab it, etc. I just felt like I was the worst mother, especially since it was on his birthday. I told Easton that this was two years in a row that he made me go to the hospital on his birthday and this better not be a trend he is starting.
The funny thing is, this was just the beginning of the day. We hadn't been home more than 45 minutes from the doctor when I decided I needed to start cleaning. I hadn't done any housework that day because I was taking care of Easton and trying to figure out what to do and my kitchen sink was sure showing it. I started doing dishes and Easton was sat down on the kitchen floor right behind me. He likes to clink bottles of makeup or nail polish together because he likes the sound. He can't do it too hard and I always made sure the lids were on tight so I was never worried about him playing with it. Well, I looked around at him and saw that my big bottle of bright red nail polish broke. He must have hit it just right. He looked like a tomato, he was covered in nail polish from head to toe. It was ALL over the kitchen floor and all over his clothes. I started panicking a little bit and he noticed and so he jumped up and rushed to me. Well, he had it all over his socks so we had little foot prints on the kitchen floor. Because he isn't super sturdy on his feet, when he would stop by me, he would sit down leaving butt prints on the floor. I had a mess. I tried to yank off his clothes but he had it all over his skin so even taking the clothes off didn't matter. No matter where the boy moved, there was nail polish. I ended up getting it all over me and my clothes.
I couldn't help but laugh. Here we were, only a few hours into his first birthday and this was the second big challenge of the day. I didn't know what else this year would bring. Luckily, I got it all cleaned up. He still has some little nail polish spots on his nails that I couldn't get off but I can handle that.
Then, after his afternoon nap, I gave him some dry cereal to eat. He loves dry cereal and is really good about just grabbing some himself so I let him do that while I continued cleaning up in the room. Well, before I knew it, there was the entire bag of cereal and all of the little crumbs dumbed every where. It was another huge mess.
I don't know if Thursday was just not my dat as a mom or if it was a sign of things to come. It is a good thing my determined, fiery, and adventurous little boy is so darn cute.

No comments:
Post a Comment